Thousands will demonstrate March 19/20. The movement is expanding. The A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition Action Plan includes merging the struggle against endless war with resistance and opposition to Bush's assault on Social Security, social programs, unions and working people's rights at home. Please see below for the next step after March 19/20, as well as an update on demonstrations taking place this weekend across the country.
Tell Bush & Congress:
Hands Off Social Security!
Stop the Budget Cuts!
Fund People’s Needs -
Not War in Iraq!
Saturday, May 7, 2005
National People’s Speak-Out
in Washington, DC
Bush has launched a taxpayer funded campaign, complete with a strategizing “war room,” to push through his plan to privatize Social Security. Bush and his corporate advisors are falsely crying “crisis” to scare younger workers into accepting “reforms.” What is really going on is a scheme to channel hundreds of billions of dollars to the big Wall Street banks and investment firms at our expense. Currently Bush is on a 60-day, 60-city tour to convince people around the country to support his plan to destroy this vital social program.
The Bush administration intends to slash virtually all remaining social services, including Social Security, to fund unlimited war and occupation in Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan, Haiti and more. They continue to spend more than $200 million a day on the war in Iraq, while targeting over 150 vital health, housing, education and jobs programs for complete elimination in this year's budget. The impact would be devastating for millions of people, and we must stop them in their tracks.
Here’s what you can do:
1) If you are organizing or attending a March 19/20 Event, help spread the word about the campaign to defend social security, stop the budget cuts, and fund people's needs - not war. Click here for downloadable flyers and fact sheets.
2) You can endorse the call to say “Hands Off Our Social Security! Fund People’s Needs, Not War in Iraq!” Endorsements from organizations and individuals are welcome.
3) Organize or join the protests in every city of Bush's “Destroy Social Security” tour. The AFL-CIO and other organizations are mobilizing protesters, young and old, to meet Bush and say “Hands Off Social Security!” A.N.S.W.E.R. calls the antiwar movement and all activists to join these demonstrations and connect the issue of Iraq and militarism with the fight to defend Social Security and to defeat the Bush budget cuts. If Bush is coming to your city, contact our National Office in Washington DC at 202-544-3389.
4) Hold a People's Speak-Out to Defend Social Security Fund People's Needs, Not War, April 30 - May 6 in your community or on your campus. Contact us to find a Speak-Out near you or for assistance and resources to organize your own action. Fact sheets and other materials can be downloaded from our website at www.ANSWERcoalition.org. Fill out the Event Listing form to help spread the word about your action.
5) Come to the National People’s Speak-Out in Washington, DC on Saturday, May 7. We will stand together at Bush’s doorstep to say “Hands Off Our Social Security! Fund People’s Needs, Not War in Iraq!” Join us! Fill out the Transportation Form to help spread the word about your car caravan, van or bus coming to DC on May 7.
Help spread the word!
Downloadable PDF flyers and fact sheets
March 19/20 Global Day of Action:
Nearly 600 actions in every U.S. state!
On March 19/20, actions will take place in hundreds of cities across the U.S. and around the world as part of the Global Day of Action on the second anniversary of the "shock and awe" invasion of Iraq.
- View the list of actions (updated daily)
- Fill out the Event Listing form for your event
- Show your support for the March 19/20 Global Day of Action
If you are organizing or attending a March 19/20 Event, help spread the word about the campaign to defend social security, stop the budget cuts, and fund people's needs - not war. Click here for downloadable flyers and fact sheets.
Students & Youth Mobilize Against War & Racism
The Students & Youth Week of Resistance initiated by The Global Resistance Network and Youth & Student A.N.S.W.E.R. is taking place this week! Click here to view a list of events taking place across the country.
Funds are urgently needed to help the antiwar movement continue to get stronger. We can’t do it without your help. You can make a contribution through a secure server by clicking here, where you can also find information on how to contribute by check.
Act Now to Stop War & End Racism
National Office in Washington DC: 202-544-3389
New York City: 212-533-0417
Los Angeles: 323-464-1636
San Francisco: 415-821-6545
For media inquiries, call 202-544-3389.