Call to Action: Keep up the pressure!
Monday, August 29
National Day of Action
Extradite Luis Posada
Carriles to Venezuela -
No to Asylum!
Free the Cuban Five!
in El Paso, TX
outside of Posada's trial
Click here for details
Locally coordinated protests
in cities and towns across the country
Click here for details
Since the illegal arrival of the terrorist Luis Posada Carriles to the United States in late March, the Bush administration has been met with a torrent of opposition and demands for Posada’s extradition to Venezuela.
On August 29, Posada will appear for trial in El Paso and the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition is calling for demonstrations outside the immigration court in El Paso and in cities across the country demanding that Posada not be granted asylum and instead be extradited to Venezuela.
Only Bush’s government and the Miami terrorists are opposed to Posada’s extradition.
There is virtually universal agreement that Posada must be denied asylum in the U.S. and instead be tried in Venezuela. Posada is principally responsible, along with Orlando Bosch, for the 1976 bombing of the Cubana plane that killed 73 people. That crime was plotted in Venezuela. The hand of the CIA is also deeply implicated, and Posada was a paid CIA agent since 1961.
It is more critical than ever to keep the pressure on the U.S. government to demand justice for the families of the victims of anti-Cuba terrorism, and for an end to U.S. sponsorship of the Miami terrorists.
It is essential that the struggle of the Cuban 5 - five heroic men who actively opposed terrorism in Miami - be elevated to national prominence to help win their freedom from U.S. prison. There is no more relevant opportunity than now to demand: Extradite Posada! Free the Cuban Five!
The more than twenty June 13 protests - from El Paso to New York City to San Francisco - helped generate a great deal of media attention on the terrorist history of Posada. June 13 was the first Immigration court date. We believe that the immigration proceedings, which will be continued to August 29 in El Paso, are a diversion from the real issue: the urgent need for Posada to be sent to Venezuela, where an extradition order has been issued.
Since March, A.N.S.W.E.R. has organized several public actions, including:
- An important April 21 press conference in Miami together with progressive Cuban groups under the banner of Alianza Martiana, which helped break the story into the national and international media.
- A well-covered May 13 press conference in Washington DC, featuring Wayne Smith and family members of Raymond Persaud, who perished in the 1976 Cubana bombing.
- 40,000 letters sent to Bush & Congress! A national A.N.S.W.E.R. letter-writing campaign that generated more than 30,000 letters to members of Congress and more than 10,500 letters to Bush, demanding no asylum, and extradition of Posada. Send a letter - or another letter - today!
- The June 13 protests, that resulted in more than 20 demonstrations in the United States, Europe, and Latin America. View reports and photographs from June 13 demonstrations.
Join in the A.N.S.W.E.R. Call
for a National Day of Action
on Monday, August 29!
On that day, in El Paso, Judge William Lee Abbott will hear arguments on whether Posada is in the United States illegally. His attorney, Eduardo Soto, claims that Posada is still a U.S. resident and therefore entitled to remain in the U.S. That is a spurious claim, as Posada relinquished his residency rights in the 1960s by not residing in the U.S. since at least that long ago. Also, his crimes of terrorism and murder would automatically disqualify him for asylum. Venezuela’s petition for extradition must, by international, U.S., and Venezuelan law, take precedence over any immigration consideration.
Here's how you can help keep the pressure on
the U.S. government on August 29:
Starting at 7:00 am, the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition, National Network on Cuba, South West Organizing Project, Stop the War Machine Coalition, Latino Movement USA, Comité de Juárez por la Libertad de los Cinco Cubanos, National Committee to Free the Cuban Five, and other regional groups will mobilize for a mass protest in front of the Immigration court, at 8915 Montana Rd. (at the corner of Mattox and Montana Streets) in El Paso.
If you can organize a car caravan, van and bus from your city to El Paso, fill out the Transportation Form to help spread the word. For transportation from Albuquerque, NM to El Paso, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 505-344-5049.
Contact the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition by phone at 202-544-3389 in Washington DC or 415-821-6545 in San Francisco, or email email@example.com for details and to get involved. Click here for a downloadable flyer. If you are in El Paso, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 915-842-0577.
2) Organize a local protest in your city or town, if possible at a Federal Building or Federal Courthouse. To list the protest in your city, fill out the Event Listing Form. For assistance in organizing a protest in your area, contact the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition at 202-544-3389 or 415-821-6545, or email email@example.com.
Protests are already planned in several cities (see above for El Paso details):
- El Paso, TX - See above for details
- Charlotte, NC: Gather at 5 pm at the Federal Building (401 W. Trade St.). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Initiated by the Action Center For Justice.
- Chicago, IL: Gather at 5 pm for a picket line in front of the Homeland Security Building (formerly the INS) at 10 W Jackson (at State Street). Initiated by A.N.S.W.E.R. Chicago and endorsed by Chicago Cuba Coalition, Chicago Committee to Free the Cuban Five and others (list in formation). Call 773-920-7545 or email email@example.com for more information.
- El Paso, TX - See above for details
- Los Angeles, CA: Gather at 6 pm at the Westwood Federal Building, 11000 Wilshire Blvd. Call 323-464-1636 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Initiated by A.N.S.W.E.R. LA. Download Los Angeles flyer
- Madison, WI: Video showing and discussion on the Cuban 5 and Posada, 5-9 pm, Press House, main lounge, 731 State St., UW campus, Library Mall. Email email@example.com for more information. Initiated by the Madison Committee to Free the Five.
- Miami, FL: Call 305-757-3113 for details.
- Milwaukee, WI: Gather from 12 noon to 1 pm at 3rd & Wisconsin Ave. (in front of Reuss Federal Building). Sponsored by Wis. Coalition to Normalize Relations with Cuba, Milw. Coalition for a Just Peace, Peace Action - WI, Natl. Lawyers Guild - Milwaukee, Milw. Committee to Free the Five, and others. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Download Milwaukee flyer
- New York City, NY: Gather at 5 pm at 26 Federal Plaza. Call 212-694-8720 or email email@example.com for more information. Initiated by A.N.S.W.E.R. NYC. See flyer for full list of local sponsors. Download New York City flyer
- Philadelphia, PA: Gather from 5-6 pm at Federal Courthouse (6th & Market Streets) Sponsored by the Philadelphia Committee to Free the Five. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- San Francisco, CA: Gather at 12 noon at the Federal Court House (7th street and Mission). Call 415-821-6545 for email email@example.com for more information. Initiated by A.N.S.W.E.R. Bay Area. Download San Francisco flyer
- Seattle, WA: Gather at the Federal Building (2nd and Marion) from 4-6 pm. Call 206-568-1661 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Initiated by A.N.S.W.E.R. Chicago. See flyer for sponsors. Download Seattle flyer
- Toronto, Canada: Gather at 5:30 pm at the U.S. Consulate (360 University Ave.). Email email@example.com for more information. Initiated by the Toronto Forum on Cuba. Download Toronto flyer
- Vancouver, Canada: Gather at 4:30 pm at the Vancouver Art Gallery, Robson side, for a march and rally. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Initiated by the Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba (VCSC). Download Vancouver flyer
- Venezuela: Statement from Movimiento Nacional de Amistad y Solidaridad Mutua Venezuela Cuba (National Movement of Mutual Friendship and Solidarity Venezuela Cuba) in Spanish / English
- Washington DC: Gather at 12 noon on the White House sidewalk (Lafayette Park). Call 202-544-3389 or email email@example.com for details. Initiated by A.N.S.W.E.R. DC. See flyer for a full list of local sponsors. Download Washington DC flyer
3) Endorse the Call to Action (endorsements from individuals and organizations are welcome).
4) Help spread the word! Forward this email using the "Email this page" button at the top of the email, or through your email program's forwarding mechanism. Click here to download a flyer for the regional demonstration in El Paso. Flyers for protests around the country will be available soon.
5) Take this opportunity to send a letter - or another letter - to Bush and Congress. Click here to send your letter now!
* * * * *
To get involved, contact:
Act Now to Stop War & End Racism
National Office in Washington DC: 202-544-3889
West Coast Regional Office in San Francisco: 415-821-6545