Cuba Party & Celebration in LA
A Night of Music, Dancing, Food, Film & Solidarity with Cuba
Saturday, July 24, 7 pm-12 midnight
Casa Princesa: 4527 York Blvd, Los Angeles 90041
(Eagle Rock Neighborhood of LA)
Map Public Transportation
Click here to RSVP for the Noche Cubana.
Come to a Cuba party and fundraiser in Los Angeles. The "Noche Cubana" will celebrate Cuba--its people, the Cuban 5, food, art, culture and its ongoing Revolution. It will be a festive atmosphere with progressive politics and fun for all. It will be the best time you have all year!
* Live spinning by DJ Revolución, DJ Sweet and DJ Rojo: Salsa, Cumbia, Merengue, Rumba and more
* Live music by Cenizas
* Indoor and outdoor dancing
* Homemade Cuban food & drinks, including Mojitos
* Auction & raffle of Cuba posters, shirts, books, DVDs and more
* Festival of Cuban films & rare documentaries (see partial list below)
* New updates in the case of the Cuban Five
Plus: Raffle of brand new iPad ($500 value)!
iPad raffle tickets are only $5. Click here to purchase iPad rafffle tickets. You can purchase tickets by credit card over the phone: 213-251-1025 or at the Noche Cubana. Raffle will take place at the event on July 24.
This year is the 51st anniversary of the Cuban Revolution. In 1959, young Cuban revolutionaries, led by Fidel Castro and Che Guevara, defeated the hated, U.S.-backed military dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista. It was a triumph for the Cuban people, and for poor and oppressed people in Latin America and across the world. Now, Cuba's social progress stands as an inspiration to those who seek to build a better, more just world.
All Cuba supporters and friends are invited to this Noche Cubana celebration. July 24 is also significant because it is two days before the beginning of Cuba's revolutionary struggle. On July 26, 1953, over 130 young Cuban revolutionaries launched an attack on the Moncada barracks to start a rebellion. The rebellion failed militarily, but it sparked the struggle that resulted in the 1959 revolutionary triumph.
At the Event: Festival of Cuban films
Some of the following films will be shown by projector on a big screen at the Noche Cubana:
* Cuba: An African Odyssey (2007, Jihan El Tahri)
* Fidel: The Untold Story (2001, Dir. Estela Bravo)
* Accelerated Underdevelopment (Dir. Travis Wilkerson - will be at the event to discuss)
* Revolutionary newsreels by Santiago Alvarez (Curated by Travis Wilkerson)
* Posada Carriles: Terrorism Made in the USA (2007, Dir. Angel Palacios)
* Montaña de Luz (2005, Dir. Guillermo Centeno)
* Mission Against Terror: Case of the Cuban Five (2003, Dir. Bernie Dwyer/Roberto Ruiz Rebo)
* The Cuban Story (1959, Dir. Victor Phalen/Errol Flynn)
* Workers' Democracy in Cuba (1996, Dir. Gloria La Riva)
* Memories of Underdevelopment (1973, Dir. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea)
* Clandestinos (1987, Dir. Fernando Pérez)
* Comandante (2003, Dir. Oliver Stone)
* Vampires in Havana (1999, Dir. Juan Padrón)
* After the Battle: Cuba, Angola & South Africa (1991, Dir. Estela Bravo)
Many of these films will be available for purchase at the event.
Bring friends, family and everyone
All of this, all in one night! Bring friends, family members, co-workers and everyone you know to show solidarity with Cuba and raise funds for ANSWER and the National Committee to Free the Cuban Five.
$10 donation for admissiongets you 1 plate of food, 1 drink and entry into the raffle.
For more info call 213-251-1025 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.