The ANSWER Coalition is actively supporting this call for demonstrations around the country on August 26th to defend women’s rights.
Sun, Aug. 26:
Defend Women’s Rights
in LA, SF, NYC, Chicago & elsewhere
Check out the new website: DefendWomensRights.org
Dear supporter of women's rights,
WORD volunteers do a banner drop over a busy Los Angeles freeway, June 2.
The right wing is on the offensive in the war on women's rights. Access to healthcare - including contraception and abortion - childcare, housing, welfare and other benefits are being slashed across the country. In 2011 alone, 26 different states enacted new anti-choice laws.
Across the nation, women are tired of politicians playing political football with our lives. It’s time we take action. It’s time we organize and fight back.
On Women’s Equality Day, August 26 – the eve of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida, which will be immediately followed by the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C. - women and their allies will take to the streets of Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City, Chicago and other cities across the country in defense of women's rights.
Sign on now and be a part of this historic movement! Thousands of women and men will be mobilizing to stand up for women’s rights. We need your support: become an official endorser and let others know that you support this mobilization. Make a donation, if you can and help us spread the word! For more information, go to: DefendWomensRights.org.
- Mara Verheyden-Hilliard, Executive Director, Partnership for Civil Justice Fund
- Roseanne Barr, actor
- Farheen Hakeem, National Co-Chair, Green Party of the United States
- Leah Bolger, President, Veterans for Peace
- Heidi Boghosian, Executive Director, National Lawyers Guild
- Sarah Sloan and Peta Lindsay, ANSWER Coalition
- Jollene Levid, National Chairperson, AF3IRM (Association of Filipinas, Feminists Fighting Imperialism, Re-feudalization, and Marginalization)
- Kristin Jordan, African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change (A.A.L.U.S.C.) Member and Group Facilitator
- Karina Garcia, Co-Founder, Lucha; Faculty Advisor, Youth Against War and Racism
- Gabi Lazaro, Mami's Unite
- Theresa and Blase Bonpane, Directors, Office of the Americas
- Donna Goodman, Vice President, Hudson Valley Area Labor Federation*; Co-chair, Women's Rights & Concerns Committee, United University Professions, AFT Local 2190, AFL-CIO* (for identification only)
- Christine Araquel, organizer, KmB Pro-People Youth
- Julie Levine, Topanga Peace Alliance/ MLK Coalition for Jobs, Justice and Peace
- Frances Villar, Chairperson, Department of Science, Harlem Renaissance High School
- Josephine Arce, Professor, Elementary Education, San Francisco State University*
- Rebecca Rojas, Ph.D., professor and licensed psychologist
Call to Action initiated by WORD (Women
Organized to Resist and Defend), a new grassroots, feminist organization that
is dedicated to building the struggle for women’s rights and equality for all.
Get involved with WORD and the Aug. 26 protests to Defend Women’s Rights:
- Read the Call to Action
- Organize transportation to the Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City or Chicago demonstrations
- Organize and list an event taking place Aug. 26 in your city
- Download flyers to spread the word
Follow WORD on Facebook and Twitter!
Spread the word about Aug. 26: