Larry Hamm of People's Organization For Progress (POP),
The ANSWER Coalition is supporting the action alert issued by the People's Organization for Progress (POP) in New Jersey to support Marilyn Zuniga, the teacher fired after her students sent get-well cards to political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal. We encourage everyone around the country to participate in this letter-writing campaign, and for those in New Jersey to come out in support.
The People's Organization For Progress (POP) is continuing the fight for justice for Marilyn Zuniga, the Orange, New Jersey school teacher who was terminated because her students wrote get well letters to prison inmate Mumia Abu-Jamal.
"So long as one just person is silent, there is no justice."
-- Mumia Abu-Jamal
Marilyn Zuniga read this quote to her students during Black History Month, which inspired them to want to send get-well cards when he fell ill. She asked her students to consider the meaning of this quote. This was a main impetus to the decision by the Board of Education to suspend her and then later fire her.
What you can do
1) Write letters condemning the decision of the Orange Board of Education to terminate her.
The letters should be sent to:
Patricia A. Arthur, President
Orange Board of Education
C/O School Board Secretary
Orange Public Schools
451 Lincoln Avenue
Orange, New Jersey 07050
Please send your letters as soon as possible.
2) Protest at the Orange Board of Education
POP is organizing a demonstration in Support of Marilyn Zuniga at the next meeting of the Orange Board of Education:
Tuesday, June 9
Orange Preparatory Academy
380 Central Ave., Orange, New Jersey
3) Attend meetings of the Orange City Council and Essex County Board of Freeholders
POP will be attending the June meetings of the Orange City Council and Essex County Board of Freeholders to solicit support for Marilyn Zuniga.
Orange City Council
- Wednesday, June 3, 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., 29 N. Day St., City of Orange, New Jersey
- Tuesday, June 16, 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., 29 N. Day St., City of Orange, New Jersey
Essex County Board of Freeholders
- Wednesday, June 10, 7:00 p.m., Essex County Board of Chosen Freeholders Board Room Chambers, 5th floor, Room 506, Hall of Records, Newark, New Jersey
- Wednesday, June 24, 7:00 p.m., Montclair Town Hall