The People Unite to Defeat the Bush Program:
Momentum builds for
in Washington DC, San Francisco,
Los Angeles & elsewhere
Details below on location, speakers, how you can be involved
The past few months have been incredible. People are rising up against the Bush administration's plan to privatize social security, against proposed federal and state budget cuts, against the continuing occupation of Iraq - against all of the attacks being levied by the Bush administration at home and abroad.
On January 20, tens of thousands joined the CounterInaugural demonstration in Washington DC. On March 19/20, over 800 cities and towns held protests as part of the Global Day of Action on the second anniversary of the "shock and awe" invasion of Iraq. There have been demonstrations in every city where Bush and others from his administration have traveled to promote the so-called "reform" of social security. The attack on working people and the labor movement by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has been met with fierce and militant resistance all over the state.
In response to the call circulated by the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition, people across the country are organizing and participating in People's Speak-Outs to say "The People Unite to Defeat the Bush Program: Hands Off Social Security, Stop the Budget Cuts, Fund People's Needs - Not War & Occupation." On May 7, the National People's Speak-Out will take place in Washington DC assembling at Plymouth Congregational Church. Buses, vans and car caravans are traveling from several East Coast, Southern and Midwestern cities. On April 30, a mass public rally will take place in San Francisco. On May 7, a community meeting will be held in Los Angeles to build for a May 21 People's Assembly and Speak-Out. People's Speak-Outs will take place across the country between April 30 and May 6. Please see below for details, downloadable flyers and more information on how you can become involved.
Funds are urgently needed to help the movement continue to get stronger. We can’t do it without your help. You can make a contribution through a secure server by clicking here, where you can also find information on how to contribute by check.
The People Unite
to Defeat the
National People’s Speak-Out
Stop the Budget Cuts
Fund People’s Needs - Not War
Hands Off Social Security
Defend Muslim & Arab Communities
Full Rights for All Immigrants
End the War & Occupation of Iraq
Speakers will include:
Rev. Graylan Hagler,
Sr. Minister, Plymouth Congregational Church
former U.S. attorney general
Exec. Dir., Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation
General Secretary, National Popular Party of Haiti (PPN)
SEIU Local 82,
representing workers at Howard University
Plymouth Congregational UCC Board of Social Action
Georgetown Living Wage Campaign hunger striker
DC Healthcare Coalition
Members of Empower DC
Mexicanos Sin Fronteras
and Woodbridge Workers Committee
Mexico Solidarity Network
Partnership for Civil Justice
Nat’l Coordinator, A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition
Casa Atabex women's group, NYC
student at New York University
Puerto Rican community youth activist, NYC
National Youth & Student Coordinator of the
A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition and Howard University student
For more information, contact the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition National Office in Washington DC:
Phone: 202-544-3389 x14
On the 30th Anniversary of the End of the Vietnam War
Come to a Public Rally
Sat. April 30, 7pm
Defend Social Security!
Money for People’s Needs—Not War & Occupation!
Ramsey Clark (initiator, Impeach Bush campaign)
Trent Willis (Pres. ILWU Local 10) & others
Mission High School in San Francisco
3750 18th Street @ Dolores, near 16th St. BART
For more information, contact the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition in San Francisco:
Youth, Seniors & Everyone Unite!
Tell Bush & Congress: Hands Off Social Security!
Fund People’s Needs - Not War!
Sat, May 7, 2:00 pm
at Sunset Hall Retirement Home
2830 Francis Avenue in Los Angeles
People’s Assembly & Speak-Out Rally
Sat, May 21, 12:00 noon
Pershing Square, 532 South Olive Street in Los Angeles
For more information, contact the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition in Los Angeles:
Here’s what you can do:
1) You can endorse the call to say “Hands Off Our Social Security! Fund People’s Needs, Not War in Iraq!” Endorsements from organizations and individuals are welcome.
2) Organize or join the protests in every city of Bush's “Destroy Social Security” tour. The AFL-CIO and other organizations are mobilizing protesters, young and old, to meet Bush and say “Hands Off Social Security!” A.N.S.W.E.R. calls on the antiwar movement and all activists to join these demonstrations and connect the issue of Iraq and militarism with the fight to defend Social Security and to defeat the Bush budget cuts. If Bush is coming to your city, contact our National Office in Washington DC at 202-544-3389.
3) Hold a People's Speak-Out to say "The People Unite to Defeat the Bush Program" - Defend Social Security Fund People's Needs, Not War - between April 30 and May 6 in your community or on your campus. Contact us to find a Speak-Out near you or for assistance and resources to organize your own action. Fact sheets and other materials can be downloaded from our website at www.ANSWERcoalition.org. Fill out the Event Listing form to help spread the word about your action.
4) Come to the National People’s Speak-Out in Washington, DC on Saturday, May 7. We will stand together at Bush’s doorstep to say “The People Unite to Defeat the Bush Program” Join us! Fill out the Transportation Form to help spread the word about your car caravan, van or bus coming to DC on May 7.
5) Help spread the word! Click here for downloadable flyers and fact sheets.
Funds are urgently needed to help the antiwar movement continue to get stronger. We can’t do it without your help. You can make a contribution through a secure server by clicking here, where you can also find information on how to contribute by check.
Act Now to Stop War & End Racism
National Office in Washington DC: 202-544-3389
New York City: 212-533-0417
Los Angeles: 323-464-1636
San Francisco: 415-821-6545
For media inquiries, call 202-544-3389.