The ANSWER Coalition encourages its members and supporters to attend the following conference this weekend.
This Saturday, join students, workers, activists and organizers for an "Organize and Fight Back" Socialism Conference at Los Angeles City College. There will be speakers, workshops, discussion, strategizing and plans for upcoming actions to build the movement for socialism.
10am: Doors open, registration begins
11:00am - 1:00pm: Opening Plenary
"The people rise up: Egypt, Wisconsin, Los Angeles"
This Plenary session will feature talks and discussion about the many crimes of capitalism, including attacks on workers and students in the United States and around the world. We'll also discuss concrete ways people are standing up, organizing and fighting back. Speakers include union leaders, teachers, high school and college student activists, immigrant rights leaders, U.S. military veterans and the event's featured speaker, Richard Becker, author of Palestine, Israel & the U.S. Empire. Don't miss this exciting session.
1:10 - 2:10pm: Worshop Session I
- Myths and facts about socialism and revolution
- Students and workers fight budget cuts
- Socialism and the Latin American rebellion
2:10 - 2:40pm: Lunch and entertainment
2:45 - 3:45pm: Workshop Session II
- Cultural revolution: Creating people's art and media
- A Marxist perspective of the Arab revolts
- Stop the cops: Bad apples or a rotten tree?
4:00 - 5:00pm: Closing Plenary
"Socialism, the only alternative to capitalism"
This Plenary session will feature talks about what socialism is and how we can get there. Speakers will address the need for multinational, working-class unity, building a revolutionary party in the United States, why people come together to organize the working-class struggle and why socialism will ultimately prevail. If you are curious about socialism and want to get involved in the movement for real change, you should be here for this session.
Conference topics include
- Fight for workers' rights: Union jobs, education, housing, healthcare
- From Egypt to Wisconsin to LA: The people rise up
- Overturn capitalism: struggle for socialism
- Stop the occupations of Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine ...
- End racism, Isamophobia, sexism and anti-LGBT bigotry
- Build a revolutionary party in the United States
- Put people and the planet over profits
- Win full rights for all immigrants: stop racist ICE raids
- Students and youth lead the way: organizing to fight back
- End police brutality, violence and racist oppression
- Support the Cuban Revolution
- Art, culture and revolution
- Socialism: What it is, why we want it, how we'll get there
Featured speakers include
- Richard Becker: Author, Palestine, Israel & the U.S. Empire; West Coast Coordinator, ANSWER Coalition
- Peta Lindsay: Howard University graduate; PSL member
- Juan Jose Gutierrez: Director, Vamos Unidos USA; Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition
- Mike Prysner: Co-founder, March Forward!
- Muna Coobtee: Palestinian American Women's Association
- Angel Bartolome: Los Angeles chapter Coordinator of AF3IRM
- Yvonne Bonilla: Students Fight Back-Pasadena City College; PSL member
- Travis Wilkerson: Award-winning filmmaker
- Stevie Merino: former Long Beach candidate for Mayor; PSL
- David Feldman: UTLA member; middle school teacher
- Sandy Naranjo: union organizer; Labor Unions for Peace, Justice and Jobs
- Abel Macias: San Diego City College professor; PSL
- Jessica Bardales: Students Fight Back-CSULB
- Eman Khaleq: UCI student; PSL
- Al Garcia: Alliance for Just and Lasting Peace in the Philippines
- Jacqueline Villagomez: UTLA member; high school teacher
- Marcial Guerra: PSL member
- Doug Kauffman: Jeremy Marks Defense Committee; PSL
- Sha Azedi: Riverside Area Peace and Justice Action
- Iliana Carter-Ramirez: Co-founder, Corazon del Pueblo
- Ian Thompson: ANSWER Coalition, Los Angeles
And many others.
Driving, Metro, Parking & Campus Map
DRIVING: Los Angeles City College is on Vermont Ave. in Los Angeles, just off the 101 freeway and close to downtown. Click here for a map and driving directions.
METRO & BUS: LACC also one block from the Metro Red Line, Vermont/Santa Monica stop. Click here for Metro information.
PARKING: There is plenty of street parking on streets adjacent to LACC, both east and west of Vermont Ave. Click here for more info on parking.
- West of Vermont: The best streets to park on west of Vermont are Willow Brook Ave and all streets that intersect with Willow Brook. This includes Heliotrope Dr. and Edgemont St. The closest entry point to the Chemistry Building is on Willow Brook Ave.
- East of Vermont: There is street parking on every street East of Vermont and south of Santa Monica Blvd. These streets are just a 2-5 minute walk to the LACC campus.
CAMPUS MAP: The Socialism Conference will take place in Holmes Hall, Room 6 (downstairs). Holmes Hall is located in the LACC Quad and is easily accessible if you enter from Vermont (the main entrance) or Heliotrope. It is fully accessible for disabled people. Click here for a campus map (or look below). Holmes Hall is circled in magenta on the map.
Register for the Socialism Conference and bring your friends.
Sponsored by Party for Socialism and Liberation. $7-10 donation requested. No one turned away for lack of funds. Childcare and lunch provided.
For more info: 323-810-3380 or [email protected].